The UA Libraries are sponsoring four different events for Open Education Month to raise awareness of open educational resources (OER) and the UA’s open access policy. OER are free resources encompass teaching, learning, and research materials that are in the public domain or have been released with an open license. They include required course materials, such as textbooks and problem sets, which can help make college more affordable.
All events are free and open to all. Refreshments will be served. Please join us!
MOOCs at the UA and ASU: What’s New in the World of Massive Open Online Courses
Monday, March 20
UA’s Main Library, Room A313
Moderator: Vincent J. Del Casino, Jr., Vice Provost for Digital Learning and Student Engagement and Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management, UA
- Kevin Bonine, Director of Education & Outreach at Biosphere 2, UA
- Jason Denison, Technologist, EdPlus at ASU
- Chris Impey, University Distinguished Professor of Astronomy, UA
- Katrina Miranda, Associate Professor of Chemistry, UA
- David Soren, Regents Professor of Anthropology, Classics, and Art History, UA
- Josie Strahle, Instructional Designer, UA’s Office of Digital Learning
An 'Open' Conversation: Why Free Educational Resources Matter Now More Than Ever
Friday, March 24
Kiva Room, Second Floor of UA’s Student Union Memorial Center
Cable Green, Director of Open Education for Creative Commons, and Cheryl Cuillier, Open Educational Resources Librarian, talk about the importance of increasing access to free, high-quality educational resources.Cable is one of the world’s leading experts on open education.
The ABC’s of Open Textbooks: What It’s Like to Adopt, Build, or Create a Free Resource
Tuesday, March 28
UA’s Main Library, Room 313
Moderator: Cheryl Cuillier, Open Educational Resources Librarian
- Suzanne Delaney, Senior Lecturer of Management and Organizations, Eller College of Management
- Amy Fountain, Associate Professor, NTE, of Linguistics
- Joceline Lega, Professor of Mathematics
- Brian Leroy, Associate Professor of Physics
UA Open Access Policy One Year In
Wednesday, March 29
Copper Room, Fourth Floor of UA’s Student Union Memorial Center
Moderator: Dan Lee, Director of the Office of Copyright Management & Scholarly Communication
- Kimberly Chapman, Director, Campus Repository Services
- David Cuillier, Associate Professor and Director, School of Journalism
- Heidi Harley, Professor, Linguistics
- Arum Park, Assistant Professor, Religious Studies and Classics
For more information, please contact Open Educational Resources Librarian Cheryl Cuillier at (520) 310-9874 or email@example.com.