The University Fellows are active in their field and the community. This page serves as a place where they may choose to list their accomplishments and recent projects.
2014-2015 University Fellows
Shyla Dogan, Educational Leadership
- Recipient of the William & Ruth Miller Scholarship, 2015
- Recipient of the Everett L. and Marian G. Holden Scholarship, 2015
- Recipient of the Foreign Languages and Area Studies Fellowship (FLAS) for Arabic, 2015
- Attended the Vermont Studio Writing Center, Summer 2015
- Being Muslim in the Post-9/11 World. Presented at the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Office, Nogales, Arizona, April 2015
- First Generation College Student Experiences. Presented at the Department of Education “Chill Session,” University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, April 2015.
- Turkey’s North Caucasian Diaspora: Alternative Education Models for Cultural and Linguistic Preservation. Presented at the 15th Annual Southwest Graduate Conference in Middle Eastern and North African Studies, “Spatial Temporal Imaginaries:Transcending Power, Identity and Body,” University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, March 2015.
- Performing ‘Refugeeness.’ Presented at the Department of Education “Chill Session,” University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, February 2015.
Andrew Kunihiro, Nutritional Sciences
- USDA National Needs Graduate Fellow in the UA Department of Nutritional Sciences Recipient 2015
Elliott Kwan, Optical Sciences
- Recipient of the NIH funded University of Arizona Biomedical Imaging and Spectroscopy Fellowship, 2015
Paul Neff, Material Science and Engineering
- NSF GRFP Honorable Mention, 2015
- Presented at International Conference and Expo on Advanced Ceramics and Composites: P. Neff, D. Pham, F. Smith, and E. Corral, “Direct Current Sintering (DCS) of Complex Geometries: Modeling to predict and reduce temperature gradients and developing complex geometries,” International Conference on Advanced Ceramics and Composites, Symposium 8: 39th International Symposium on Advanced Processing and Manufacturing Technologies for Structural and Multifunctional Materials and Systems (APMT9), Daytona, FL, January 2015
- Publication on Miller-Oana, M., Neff, P., Valdez, M., Powell, A., Packard, M., Walker, L. S., Corral, E. L. (2015), Oxidation Behavior of Aerospace Materials in High Enthalpy Flows Using an Oxyacetylene Torch Facility. Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 98: 1300–1307. doi: 10.1111/jace.13462
- Serves as Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity Resident Scholar for Arizona Beta Chapter
Saffo Papantonopoulou, Anthropology and Middle Eastern and North African Studies
- Recipient, Foreign Languages and Area Studies Fellowship, 2015
- Recipient, Hellenic Cultural Foundation Scholarship, Summer 2015
Danielle Sheather, Dance
- ReaP Grant Recipient from the Graduate and Professional Student Council Spring 2015
- Medici Scholarship Winner Spring 2015
- Accepted into Paul Taylor's School Winter intensive Fall 2014
- Accepted into the Dance in Paris Study Abroad Program Summer 2015
- Accepted into Nederlands Dans Theater's Open Studio Summer 2015
- Presenting Research at the National Dance Education Organization in Phoenix, Arizona in Fall 2015
- 2nd Place for Graduate and Professional Student Council Showcase Fall 2014
- Performed in Center for Creative Photography Happening Fall 2014
- Performed in UA Dance Ensemble Member/Performer in Spring Collection 2015 "The Wrong Dance"
- Performed in UA Dance Ensemble Member/Performer in Jazz in Az Fall 2015 "Distant Hearts"
- Choreography showcased in Last Chance to Dance "Bagatelle Pour Mon Papa" in Fall 2014 and "Ballade per una Corte Medievale" Spring 2015
- Choreography showcased inChoreographic Collaboration with the School of Music Harpist Rachel Knight in DMA Ensemble Recital Spring 2015
- Choreography showcased while Rehearsal Assistant to Michael Williams, Jazz Dance Faculty Fall and Spring 2015
- Guest Ballet Faculty at Imfoculta Community Center Nogales, Mexico Fall 2015
- Student Representative for the Dance Advisory Board at the University of Arizona School of Dance Fall 2014, Spring 2015
- Interview with KOLD 13: http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/26522252/new-resource-center-to-promote-ua-graduate-programs-prestige
- Interview with KOLD 13: http://tucson.com/entertainment/ua-dance-school-among-the-best/article_a499a7f8-2ee0-5dd8-bf74-d84bb2f8b552.html
- Dance Blog: https://pourquoipasdanserlemonde.wordpress.com
Brigette Walters, Spanish and Portuguese
- Attendee and Presenter, V Lisbon Summer School for the Study of Culture June 22-27, 2015
Melodie Yen, Linguistics
- Recipient, NSF Graduate Research Fellowship in Linguistics, 2015