The UA Graduate Center and Postdoctoral Affairs are pleased to announce our presentation series “PhDs Succeeding in Multiple Career Pathways” starting February 1, 2018.
PhDs Succeeding in Multiple Career Pathways
- Dates and Time: February 1 and 8, 2018, 5 PM to 6 PM
- Venue: Student Union Kiva Auditorium, 1303 University Blvd.
- Free and open to the public. Intended for graduate students and postdoctoral scholars.
- Speaker: John Singer, UA Alumnus and CEO, Professional Development Strategies, and author of Resume DNA – Succeeding In Spite of Yourself
- RSVP is requested, but not required. RSVP links are available in the descriptions below.
- Can't attend in person. Recordings of the presentations are expected to be available on March 12, 2018 on the Graduate Center Videos page.
- Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
An academic career path is not the only option available to graduate students and postdoctoral scholars. Nonprofit, business, government, and entrepreneurial sectors benefit from the highly developed skills and competencies PhDs possess. These presentations focus on how PhDs can best communicate and represent themselves to a variety of employers.
February 1: PhDs Beyond the Academy: Identifying and Translating Your Skills for Non-Academic Careers
Doctoral students and postdoctoral scholars have the breadth and depth of knowledge that many employers want. Crucial to a successful job search is the ability to translate your skills and competencies into terms that non-academic employers recognize as valuable. This session will focus on how PhDs can identify and communicate their highly specialized, yet transferable, skills and competencies to audiences outside of academe.
February 8: Effective Interviewing and Networking for Multiple Career Pathways
This session will focus on ways PhDs can best represent themselves when interviewing in person, over the phone, and via online systems such as Skype. Additionally, attendees will learn how to apply the interviewing strategies to networking situations – both in-person and digital settings – and how to utilize innovative search methodologies and LinkedIn to increase their visibility to potential employers and collaborators.