Welcome to the Grad Slam Judges page. The faculty, staff, and community members that serve as judges for Grad Slam support UA’s graduate students by helping them enhance their public speaking skills, all the while learning about the amazing creative and academic work that takes place at the UA. Past Grad Slams have featured judges from all over the UA and Tucson community.
This page provides an overview of what Grad Slam judges do, how they are selected, how to get involved, and a list of individuals that have served as judges at past Grad Slam competitions.
What do judges do at Grad Slam?
The judges for Grad Slam are an important part of the competition and professional development goals of the event. As a judge, one
- Evaluates the effectiveness of the presentation of a student’s creative or research project using the Grad Slam scorecard. Based upon the combined scores of the judges, several presenters move on to the next round. Judges do not evaluate the project itself. Training materials are provided prior to the event and onsite to familiarize the judge panel with the format.
- Provides constructive feedback to the presenter on what stood out about the presentation.
- Serves as a representative of the diverse audiences that students will encounter during and after their time at the UA. Each session has three judges.
All judge assignments include parking, meals, and other amenities, including the opportunity to meet UA students and campus partners.
How are judges selected?
Judges are selected through a volunteer and nomination process coordinated by the Grad Slam Planning Committee. The committee strives to have a diverse set of judges for each round, and we actively recruit and schedule the rounds so that there is a mix of perspectives, disciplines, and sectors represented at each heat and round of Grad Slam. Usually there is a mix of faculty, staff, and administrators from the UA and Tucson community members from business, government, and nonprofits. Graduate students and undergraduate students cannot serve as judges.
List of judges from previous Grad Slam competitions is coming soon.
Interested in Judging? Know someone who would make a great judge?
The Grad Slam Planning Committee is recruiting judges for preliminary and semifinal rounds on the following dates. Each day will have a morning session and an afternoon session. The morning session is from 10:30 AM to 12:15 PM and the afternoon session is from 12:30 PM to 2:15 PM. Judges may sign up for one or both timeslots. The timeslots include judge orientation, the competition heat, and post competition closing. All judge assignments include parking, lunch, and other amenities, including the opportunity to meet UA students and campus partners.
- March 19
- March 20
- March 21
- March 22
- March 23
- March 27 - Times to be determined
- March 28 - Times to be determined
Please email the Judge Recruitment Coordinator for more information or to refer us a name of a good judge candidate. If you are interested in serving as a judge, let us know by completing the online Judge Registration Form.