Spring 2023 Writing Workshops
Using the Data Cooperative as a Grad Student
If you need help with data management, data science, visualization, or geospatial applications, the Data Cooperative in the UA Libraries can help you. Learn more at this online informational session.
- Friday, January 27 from 9:00 – 10:00. Please register to receive the zoom link
Dissertation Forms and Formatting
Wondering which forms to fill out and how to format your dissertation? We will walk you through what you need to know. Two identical sessions offered.
- Tuesday, Feb 7 from 12:00 – 1:00. Please register to receive the zoom link
- Tuesday, March 28 from 1:00 – 2:00. Please register to receive the zoom link
Everything Librarians Wish Grad Students Knew About the Library
Whether you are just starting grad school or trying to finish up, you know the library has a lot to offer but it is not always easy to find resources. In this online session, librarians will guide us through everything they wish grad students knew about the library.
- Thursday, March 2 from 12:30 - 1:30. Please register to receive the zoom link
Writing Reset - Finishing the Semester Strong
If you have a big writing project due at the end of the semester, this interactive session will help you plan out the next few weeks. Come with your end goal in mind, and we will help you plan out how to successfully achieve your writing goals.
- Tuesday, March 21 from 12:30 - 1:30. Please register to receive the zoom link
Writing Workshops Offered Through Other Campus Units
Check out the workshops offered by the following units on campus:
- Writing Skills Improvement Program weekly writing workshops on a variety of topics
- Research, Innovation & Impact Responsible Conduct of Research Program Workshops
ABD to PhD Writing Workshops
Writing professionals across campus collaborated to create workshops that address dissertation writing for ABD students at the beginning, middle, or end of the writing process. Find materials in our shared folder online. Use your UArizona NetID and password to login.
- Literature Review 1.0: Dissertation Edition: Materials cover how to include literature reviews effectively in various dissertation formats.
- Literature Review 2.0: Synthesizing Information: An overview of how to synthesize information gathered from secondary sources, including how and when to paraphrase and use direct quotations.
- Avoiding Wordiness in Academic Writing: Materials help writers identify and fix common causes of sentence-level wordiness.
- Sentence Fluency: An examination of issues that interfere with sentence-level fluency, including grammar patterns, transitions, and sentence structure.
- Effective Planning and Working with Faculty: Learn how to addresses common concerns affecting the writing process, including communicating effectively with faculty, managing the dissertation process timeline, and maximizing campus resources for graduate students.
- Writing In-depth Analysis to Support Your Research: An overview of how to write thoughtful and relevant interpretations of data and findings.
The ABD to PhD Writing Workshops are made possible by: