March 2022 Dear Gabby – Your Funding Questions Answered

March 14, 2022

Hello Graduate Students,

We would like to introduce Gabby. Gabby has worked with graduate fellowships for years and loves to gab about grants. This month’s Gradfunding features her responses to the questions she has received so far. She does appreciate if you look through the Graduate Center Office of Fellowships website prior to asking, but feel free to submit your own questions!


Dear Gabby,

I am a graduate student with an up-to-date CV, but my most current application is asking for a resume. How can I convert my CV to a resume?

ABD and Job Searching

Dear ABD and Job Searching,

Congratulations! You are almost to the finish line. Wisely, you are looking beyond academia for job opportunities. (Academia is great, but we recommend casting a wide net.) I’d like to make sure that you are aware of the Graduate Center Career Support available to you. Included in this support, along with individual advising and many other services, is a list of recommended online resources. You will find an excellent CV to resume conversion guide in these resources. Best of luck!



Dear Gabby 

I am an international student. Please, I need funding to pay my tuition. Any help please?


Dear Worried,

As someone who has lived abroad, I know that being in a foreign country with unfamiliar systems is stressful in itself. When you add financial stress to living in a new place, it is a lot to manage. However, you are doing exactly the right thing. Ask people. Keep asking. Make as many connections as you can and continue asking. Make sure you have touched base with the following people:

  • Your primary source of information is the Graduate Coordinator in your department. The Graduate Coordinator has a lot on their plate, so you may not get an answer right away. Be politely persistent.
  • One of the faculty members in your department is the Director of Graduate Studies, and they are also a good person to ask about financial support.
  • International Student Services has advising sessions, either drop-in or by appointment.

People at the UArizona are busy, but we also realize how lucky we are to have students from around the world, like yourself, at our institution. We do want to support you, and we want you to have a great experience here. I hope these resources are helpful.



Dear Gabby,

I am currently an ASU student, and I expect to graduate with my PhD in Spring 2023.  I'm currently doing research with faculty from UArizona.  Can I apply for the Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad (FH DDRA) through U of A?  I would prefer to work with a UArizona faculty going forward after graduation and so my preference would be to work with UArizona faculty as an advisor for the Fulbright-Hays DDRA.

Future Wildcat

Dear Future Wildcat,

You are on the right track for moving forward after your doctorate. Creating cross-institutional connections prior to graduation sets you up nicely for a postdoctoral fellowship or job. However, you are jumping the gun a little. As a doctoral student, maintain your close ties to your advisor at your current institution as they are your best advocate. Simultaneously, when you are a year out from graduation, as you are, it is a good idea to be on the lookout for postdoctoral funding opportunities that you can apply for with someone at a new institution. However, the Fulbright-Hays DDRA is doctoral funding; it is submitted to the Department of Education through your current institution, so we can’t help you with that specific opportunity. In sum, the answer to your specific question is no, but you are clearly asking the right questions. Best of luck in finding a postdoctoral funding opportunity to which you can apply!