DAAD Fellowships provide support for study in Germany. Each year, the University of Arizona facilitates the selection of one priority candidate. Applicants from the UA are not required to submit for priority candidacy; applying for the priority candidacy is optional, and students can apply individually to the DAAD's various programs. The following opportunities through DAAD are generally most relevant for graduate students:
“Highly qualified final year undergraduate students or those who have received an undergraduate degree of all disciplines may apply for the DAAD Study Scholarship for a full master's degree program at a German university or for a study at a German university as part of a postgraduate or Master's degree program completed in the home country." These are available in the sciences, humanities, and arts.
“Research grants are awarded primarily to highly qualified PhD candidates who are early in their academic/professional careers or to individuals wishing to earn a doctoral degree in Germany. Funding may also be granted to recent PhDs who would like to conduct research.” DAAD has both long-term and short-term research grants.
UArizona Priority Candidate
As a partner university, DAAD encourages the UA to select one priority candidate. Priority candidates from partner universities receive preferential status in the general fellowship competitions and have a higher likelihood of being selected. Students interested in being considered for the priority candidacy should be applying for a long term research grant or cotutelle program. (If you are applying to another program, let us know and we will be happy to review your application.) Applicants for the 2023 UA priority candidacy should submit their applications to the UArizona Graduate College via email on or before October 10 at noon. Everyone who submits to the UArizona Graduate College can subsequently submit to the national competition.
If you are interested in applying to be the UArizona DAAD priority candidate, please contact us in the Graduate Center Office of Fellowships before filling out this form. We request that you contact us and fill out the form before September 30, 2023.
Interested applicants will submit the following materials:
1. A cover letter including the following:
- Degree Sought:
- Country of Citizenship:
- Email address:
- Phone number:
- Are you applying to the long term research grant or cotutelle program?
- Briefly list your previous experience, if any, in Germany. Include dates, location, and a short description of the trip’s purpose.
- How would you describe your proficiency in German?
- Where would you like to go (location and institution) in Germany?
- What professional and/or academic affiliations do you have in Germany?
- Where are you in your program? Include number of years completed and any significant milestones you have completed.
- Briefly (2 - 3 sentences) describe your reason for applying to DAAD:
2. Detailed and explicit project proposal and description of previous research undertaken, max. 5 pages
3. Schedule of planned research in Germany, max. 2 pages
4. Letter of recommendation using DAAD form (submitted to our office via email)
Submissions should be emailed to Shelley Hawthorne Smith by noon on October 10. Please contact us with any questions.